Treatment for a misplaced rib?

I've been to the doctor, obviously they never found anything, but I've had sharp and severe pain on the left side for years now. It's tender to the touch and when running my fingers down the right side of my ribs all ribs are contiguous, but on the left there's one that is pointed down and that's the area where the pain stems from. So if the doctors found nothing and yet there is some obvious abnormallity there, what should I do? Because most say I should be fine and that I can live with it, and that I probably just tore muscle around the ribs. Also, pain medication doesn't seem to alleviate the pain whatsoever.
Answers:    There are a few options for rib pain. First, if a general practitioner or internist can't find the problem, go to a specialist (ortho surgeon or spine specialist.) They SHOULD at least x-ray, if not perform an MRI for diagnostic purposes. If you've taken this avenue already with no results, then see if you can get a prescription for physical therapy (and make certain to ask for a PT that is comfortable working with the thoracic area - not all are). Many times a PT can gently work the rib back into place and give you therapeutic exercises to maintain the positioning.

Another option is massage therapy. Look for a certified/licensed massage therapist. Often times chronic spasm, cramping, or trigger points cause orthopaedic malalignment and treatment can bring relief.

If all else fails, check into alternative medicine (acupressure, acupuncture, traditional Chinese medicine, reflexology, etc) as these treatments treat the whole person, not just the symptoms of one problem.

The problem with the body is that we're not entirely symmetrical. Though this rib may feel out of place, it may not be the rib itself that's the problem. ALL PAIN IS REAL! And it bothers me that no one has validated yours!!
Its a conservative management, with symptomatic treatment, ie analgesics

.People develop pain for many reasons. Pain from a recent surgery, injury or medical illness is called acute pain. In many cases, this pain can be managed immediately and will usually get better in just a short time. For more serious pain, however, your primary care doctor may ask a pain medicine doctor to help manage your pain while you are healing.

If your pain persists after the healing process should be over, you might have what is called chronic pain. If the current treatment you are receiving stops working or your pain begins to get worse over time, your primary care doctor may suggest that you see a pain medicine doctor.

The health and medicine information post by website user , not guarantee correctness , is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
More Related Questions and Answers ...