Would my son qualify for Social Security Disability?

My 18 year old son, a high school senior, is hearing impaired. Zero hearing in right ear and about 1/2 in the left ear. His condition will not improve and he could, over time, develop even less hearing in the left ear. Would this be serious enough to get disability or supplemental income from social security?
Answers:    From what you have said, it sure sounds like he would qualify for SSI (supplemental security income). Is he in a special day classroom? Is there an IEP? If I were you, I would take him to your closest Social Security office and apply. Take his social security card, his IEP (if he has one), his birth certificate, and anything you have from doctors, schools, whatever, that states (in writing), that your son has significant hearing loss. Since he is 18, your income will not be a factor. Good luck.
Nope that is not a qualifier for SSD. I have been hearing impaired since childhood and you don't get much of anything these days for lousy hearing.
Apply and find out.
You mean, should tax payers pay for it?
he probably does not qualify. It has nothing to do with his disability but to get social security you have to have a history or work before the disability.

Basically you have to work and pay into social security before you can get anything out of it. Even if he was blind, deaf, dumb, and had no arms he would not qualify without the work history.

Your amount of benefits are based on how much you have paid into social security. So if you have not held a job yet you can not get benefits.

You can always talk to a lawyer about it to find out for sure but he probably does not qualify.

If one parent is disabled, retired, or dead he could receive benefits based on that parent earnings though. if that is not the case he is probably out of luck.

Though why are you asking on here why don't you just go to the social security web site and look it up? That would be smarter then asking random people. Most people on here are not experts on anything they are just bored.
I don't think so, my friend has bad epilipsey and she is not able to work she didn't qualify. You should try though I just know that it is hard and you may have to apply more than once if denied. Good Luck Casey:)
I doubt it. But you can always apply and get a lawyer to help you for no fee unless you win the case. Social security logic dictates that there may be some type of gainful employment that a deaf person can do.
Its worth a try. File a application and they will send him to their doctors, if you get denied contact a attorney that handles that kind of stuff. Apply for SSI not SSD
good luck
He will probably not qualify but check with a social security rep.
Yes, I think so...But who knows about the laws in your state.
And whether are not a Dr. would write it up for you.
This is the SSI homepage:

A person can't get disability payments without having worked. There are lots of things a hearing-impaired person can do, however.
You should consult your doctor, and your attorney. Here is a website for a firm that specializes in this:


If you have your case presented by professionals, you should have success. You will probably have to try more than once too, so don't give up.
The best thing to do is check with the SS department to find out
No. There are plenty of jobs for hearing impaired people. My step-daughter only had 5% hearing in both ears until she was 5 when they found out that the tubes in her ears were deformed. After having several ear infections they placed tubes in her ears and she could hear fine, but by that point it had created permanant speech problems, and balance problems. She also has a moderate learning disability, and had to be in Special Ed classes until high school. She then had an IEP (Individual Education Plan) for students with learning problems. She has mental capabilities of a 12 year-old, and she is now in her 20's, and she does not qualify for SSI. Obvioulsy "Thatoneguy" doesn't know anything about Social Security. Children with severe disabilities CAN collect SSI without a work history. This is to help the parents of the disabled, and they receive it from birth if they have conditions such as Cerebral Palsy.
I think he may qualify. Apply and let them decide for sure. I know a person who is in the same seat as your son and he has gotten SSI since he was about 13 or 14 years old- he's almost 25 now and still receives it.
It may be possible but I could be wrong. SSDI (State Disability Insurance) is paid to former wage-earners.

For SSI (Supplemental Security Income) the definition of eligibility, as it applies to your son, is: An individual age 18 and older is "disabled" if he or she has a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, which: results in the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity; and can be expected to result in feath; or has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months. Gainful activity is defined as work performed for pay or profit and can be full-time or part-time.

The SSA may make fidnings of presumptive disability until a more formal determination is made. Funds may be available in these cases. The specific impairment categories include "Allegation of total deafness".

There is a publication entitled Disability Evaluation Under Social Security", known as the "blue book" and it explains the criteria on which Social Security bases disability determinations. Go to www.ssa.gov/disability/

Type exactly what you see above. Click on Adult Listings (Part A). You'll see in the top middle of the page a new added (as of 02/2007) section - Special Senses & Speech. Click on this. Now, at the left, click on 2.08 Hearing Impairments.

I hope this helps you.

The health and medicine information post by website user , AnyQA.com not guarantee correctness , is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions.
More Related Questions and Answers ...